This post was written by Surabhi Dewra, founder of
Mera Career Guide.
It is a known fact that the most successful people in the world are those who listened to their heart. Yes, Steve Jobs dropped out of college and went ahead with what he wanted to do. Amitabh Bachchan risked his career by abandoning a reputed job to pursue his calling of shining out in the glamor world. This is the power of following your dream career !
You may wonder why I am talking so vehemently about this, but isn't your career the most important element of your life? Lets do some Math.
In total, the average Indian student spends 17-18 years of her life preparing for a career, and the rest of her life living that career.
Today most students in India make career choices unassisted. They are not sure how to make good career decisions, and are not clear, even just prior to graduation, what they want to do when they enter the workforce. Too many youth do not have the good fortune of enjoying ready access to good mentors in their home situations.
It would not be wrong to call Indian Youths more than ever "motivated but directionless".
Before starting the concept of career portal Mera Career Guide, I did some research on the Indian Education System and came across the fact that in the early days of nation building the focus of education policy was on educating the masses and raising the standard of literacy. This not too far off from the impulses of the early United States government.
Thus, much effort was spent on emphasizing technical education to support economic growth because the urgent task was to create jobs to support the economy and train workers to fill these posts.
Today India needs to understand its age of knowledge-based economy which demands a new approach to career development to meet the skills and labor force demands of the coming decades.
- That Really Is Incredible Skydiving
- Productive Day, or Non-Productive Day
- Chalkboard Blog
- NYC Teacher's Union Holding Out for 4% Raise?
- Motivated but Directionless Indian Students !!
- Eliminating the Non-Compete Clause
- Aviary Gets US$7 Million for Artist Web Start-Up
- Cantonese Loses Ground to Putonghua in Chinatown
- Beauty Schools in Florida To Receive Funding Makeo...
- Harvard University's Interest Rate Bet Ends in Los...
- Responsibility and Teachers
- For-profit education: US Trends and Lessons for In...
- Michelle Obama: "Teachers Important to Strength of...
- These Kids Want to Meet Obama
- Teachers and the Future: Why Won't We Pay Them Mor...
- French Students Paid Big Time to Go To School
- Half a Millenium
- Inbound: Re-Modeling the Model
- Ron Packard, CEO, K12, Inc.
- StraighterLine CEO Burck Smith
- Government Wants Financial Companies Out of Studen...
- If You Want, You Can
- Moving Towards a Transformative Model for Educatio...
- Newest Additions to the Ed Industry Investment For...
- Dan Madzelan, Department of Education
- The Joys of Business Travel
- ▼ October (26)